Creating New Drills for Deliberate Practice - Commoncog

A lesson from a four month accelerated expertise experiment. Or: why creating new drills for a deliberate practice training program isn't as difficult as you might think.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://commoncog.com/creating-drills-deliberate-practice/

I just want to call out that @eric was hugely influential on my conclusions in this essay — he basically told me that he did some form of deliberate practice development with his clients a couple of months ago. I checked with a few other exec coaches I knew, and verified that they did very similar things (although naturally they didn’t use the terms ‘deliberate practice’ or ‘pedagogical development’ — they were simply trying to help their clients get better!)

I think that email, plus some reflection on what I’d seen during the past four months, was enough to convince me that pedagogical development really isn’t that complex.

This might be an obvious conclusion … but I guess I needed to experience it myself to believe it to be true.